This training module covers comprehensive aspects of the Energy Services CoGen Mechanical Maintenance Work Units Respiratory Protection Program in accordance
with UNC-CH Respiratory Protection Program requirements and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Respiratory Protection Standard,
29 CFR 1910.134. This module is intended to be a self study training module for CoGen Mechanical Maintenance Work Unit employees who use respirators for
protection against airborne hazards. The module covers the following elements as related to the UNC-CH Respiratory Protection Program:
- Review of potential airborne hazards present that could be encountered during Boiler Maintenance work tasks and a review of the work tasks. This module
reviews the potential health hazards from exposure to coal dust and fly ash.
- Review of the types of respirators used and the recommended types for Mechanical Maintenance (Boiler Maintenance Mechanics).
- Review of potential airborne hazards present that could be encountered during Coal and Ash Mechanic work tasks and a review of the work tasks. This
module reviews the potential health hazards from exposure to coal dust and limestone (calcium carbonate, and calcium oxide) and the engineering controls
in place to minimize airborne exposure to these substances.
- Review of the types of respirators used for Coal and Ash Mechanics and the recommended types.
- Review of the manufacture instructions for the North 76008A full face air purifying respirator and 3M 8511 N95 filtering facepiece respirator.
- Review the respirator inspection, maintenance, and storage requirements.
- Review of respirator Quantitative Fit-Testing Procedures for the types of respirators.
*Note: This training module should be used in conjunction with the applicable respirator manufacture instruction manual and guide which
covers specific important aspects of the use of respirators. You should read and understand these instructions and the operation of the respirator that is
selected prior to using any respirator for protection against airborne hazards.
After Completion: Remember that you must take and pass the post test in order to receive credit for this training. Onyen or PID required.
Take the Post Test